Four Bean Salad
This 4 bean salad is the perfect side dish for a Summer bbq or as a take along to the next neighborhood potluck. I have seen this recipe made with up to 3/4 cup of sugar added - I eliminated the sugar (and those pesky calories) completely. The vinaigrette was fresh and tangy and really complimented the salad nicely.
This salad is best when made a day or two before, so the onions have a chance to pickle in the vinegar and also allowing the flavors to marry. Makes a great lunch with some bread or crackers.
As it is most times when I'm using beans I prefer to use dry beans and soak and cook them myself to keep the sodium down and it reduces the glycemic score as well. You can of course use canned beans and it is certainly easier and faster to prepare this dish. If you prefer to make a 3 bean salad, just eliminate your least favorite bean.
This bean salad recipe is low in saturated fat, while also being very low in sodium and cholesterol. It'is also a good source of fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate and Manganese.
- 4 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Mediterranean Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Brown Mustard Seed Powder
- 1/2 cup red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 15 oz cut green beans
- 15 oz garbanzo beans
- 15 oz black beans or pinto beans (I used black beans)
- 15 oz kidney beans
- 1 4 oz jar pimentos
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large salad bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil and spices
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, pimentos and beans.
- Toss to evenly coat and cover the bowl with a lid or plastic wrap
- Place in refrigerator to chill and marinate.
- Salad can be kept in the refrigerator for several days.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Sat Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g