- 2 Lbs pork shoulder
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Barbacoa Rub
- 2 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken stock
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- Place the pork in the slow cooker
- In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar and the Barbacoa Rub - combine well.
- To the spice mixture add the chicken stock and the tomato paste, whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture over pork and set slow cooker to low heat for 7-8 hours or until pork is cooked thoroughly and shreds easily with the tines of a fork.
- Remove pork from the slow cooker to shred and remove as much fat from the remaining liquid in the slow cooker as possible.
- Return shredded meat to the slow cooker and continue cooking on low for another 1-2 hours or until ready to serve. The longer the meat cooks, the more tender and flavorful it will be - don't be afraid to let it continue to cook.
- Serve on warm corn tortillas with salsa, and Jack cheese and a squeeze of lime.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Protein 32.3 g
Carbs 33 g
Fat 21.1 g
Sat Fat 7.1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Fiber 1.4 g
Sodium 526 mg
Sugar 28.9 g