Sweet Pulled Pork Barbacoa
This is a great slow cooker recipe. The pulled pork is so tender and flavorful with a nice hint of sweetness. We used the meat for tacos - but nachos, burritos or sandwiches with a nice hearty bun would be delicious too. The traditional Mexican way of eating barbacoa is having it served on warm corn tortillas with guacamole and salsa.
Barbacoa basically refers to meat that was slow cooked over an open fire or in a pit. The word barbeque was derived from the Mexican word barbacoa and made it's way to the US from Mexico with the cowboys and ranch hands in Texas.
If you can prepare this meal a day in advance you can cool and refrigerate the meat with the sauce. The fat from the pork will solidify on the top and can be easily removed with a spoon. Put the meat back in the slow cooker and bring back to temperature before serving.
Our Barbacoa Rub is hand blended with chipotle, guajillo, onion, sea salt, black pepper, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, Mexican oregano and cloves.
- 2 Lbs pork shoulder
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Barbacoa Rub
- 2 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken stock
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- Place the pork in the slow cooker
- In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar and the Barbacoa Rub - combine well.
- To the spice mixture add the chicken stock and the tomato paste, whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture over pork and set slow cooker to low heat for 7-8 hours or until pork is cooked thoroughly and shreds easily with the tines of a fork.
- Remove pork from the slow cooker to shred and remove as much fat from the remaining liquid in the slow cooker as possible.
- Return shredded meat to the slow cooker and continue cooking on low for another 1-2 hours or until ready to serve. The longer the meat cooks, the more tender and flavorful it will be - don't be afraid to let it continue to cook.
- Serve on warm corn tortillas with salsa, and Jack cheese and a squeeze of lime.
Serves: 6 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Protein 32.3 g
Carbs 33 g
Fat 21.1 g
Sat Fat 7.1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Fiber 1.4 g
Sodium 526 mg
Sugar 28.9 g