Shrimp Garam Masala
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
11/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
1 teaspoon Coriander Seed Powder
11/2 teaspoon Curry Powder Medium Heat
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Medium Heat
a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 cup plain yogurt
salt and pepper
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
a 14 ounce can of coconut milk
1/4 cup green onion tops, chopped
11/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden (about 20 minutes).
3. Add the garlic and all of the spices and stir for 1 minute and then set aside to cool.
4. Drain the canned tomatoes, reserving the juice from the can.
5. Puree the onion mixture, the tomatoes, and the yogurt in a food processor or blender until almost smooth. If the mixture is too thick to blend easily, add a bit of the reserved tomato juice to help it along.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat.
8. Add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes.
9. Stir in the coconut milk, green onions, lemon juice, and the prepared mixture.
10. Simmer until the shrimp are opaque in the center (3 to 5 minutes more).
11. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if necessary, and serve.
Makes 8 servings