Spinach and Egg Shakshuka
Shakshuka is a traditional North African dish consisting of eggs poached in a rich and sometimes spicy tomato sauce. Served with toast or crusty bread, this is a perfect dish for breakfast, brunch or even a dinner meal
Berbere, spices and Organic Red Pepper Flakes give this dish warm heat and depth of flavor while still allowing the richness of the tomatoes to come through. During the Summer months you can use ripe red tomatoes, but if they are not in season then canned will work. If your tomatoes have salt added, then reduce the amount of added salt to 1/4 teaspoon. The small, firm, off-season tomatoes that are in the stores aren't optimal for this dish due to their lack of rich tomato flavor.
Our Berbere is hand blended from cayenne pepper, smoked sweet paprika, red pepper flakes, fenugreek, clove, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, black pepper, cumin, sea salt, coriander, cinnamon and allspice.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups diced yellow onion
- 3 cups diced bell pepper (You can use any color you like)
- 2 teaspoons Berbere
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Organic Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Organic Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoons Organic Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoons Organic Domestic Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Organic Turmeric
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (low or no salt added)
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (low or no salt added)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach, washed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Organic Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large, flat bottom skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, or until the peppers and onions are very soft.
- Add the Berbere, Organic Granulated Garlic, Organic Red Pepper Flakes, Organic Ground Cumin, Organic Domestic Paprika and Organic Turmeric to the pot and let it cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and stir till everything is mixed together well.
- Let tomato mixture cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the spinach and stir until wilted.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Make 6 small holes in the sauce (I use the bottom of a 1/4 measuring cup).
- Carefully crack an egg into each hole.
- Put a lid on the skillet and cook until egg whites are set - about 4-5 minutes. Yolks will still be a little soft and runny.
- Sprinkle the top with the feta and parsley and serve immediately.
Serves: 6 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving): Not including bread
Total Fat 7.4 g
Saturated Fat 2.7 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 191.6 mg
Sodium 592.2 mg
Potassium 375.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
Sugars 11.0 g
Protein 11.9 g