Grilled Portabella Mushroom Burger
In case you were wondering, like I was, if the correct name is portabella or portobello - it seems that either spelling is correct but the Mushroom Council has adopted portabella for consistency. Portabella mushroom caps make a hearty and delicious, meat-like substitute for a beef burger. A portabella cap provides 22 calories, 0 grams of fat and 4 grams of carbohydrates. Choose caps that are slightly larger than your buns. Most portabellas are about 5-6 inches in diameter and they will shrink slightly when cooked.
Our Smoked Tea Rub enhances the deep flavor of the mushroom by adding a layer of smokiness to this burger. Our Smoked Tea Rub has rich deep sweetness with strong but not overpowering smokiness and subtle herby notes. It is hand blended from granulated molasses, sea salt, Lapsong Souchong tea, demerara sugar, sesame seeds, paprika, garlic, black pepper, fennel, rosemary and marjoram.
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps, cleaned with stems removed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Tea Rub
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 cups fresh greens (lettuce, sprouts, spinach etc)
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Tomato slices
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, Dried Parsley, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and Smoked Tea Rub.
- Place mushrooms in a glass dish, do not overlap them.
- Brush mushroom tops with marinade, flip and brush remaining marinade on the other side. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium high, indirect heat.
- Place mushrooms cap side up on clean, hot grill grates. Close grill and cook for about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Carefully flip the mushrooms cap side down and place equal amounts of spinach on each mushroom and a slice of cheese. Close grill and cook another 4 or 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Toast the buns on the grill if desired and dress each burger on a bun with mustard, tomatoes, lettuce and onion.
Serves: 4 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat 16.6 g
Saturated Fat 6.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.9 g
Monounsaturated Fat 7.1 g
Cholesterol 26.1 mg
Sodium 349.7 mg
Potassium 110.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32.4 g
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 17.4 g