Roasted Garlic Green Beans and Mushrooms
When your Mom calls and says, "Honey, you don't have enough side dish recipes on your website.", then it's time to write some side dish recipes. :-)
To be honest, most of our side dishes are either steamed or roasted vegetables or a nice salad. I tend to spend my time on the entree, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't show a little love to the dish that accompanies the main course.
Having said that, this is a simple side that takes two basic ingredients and adds a splash of 'fancy'. I roast mushrooms all the time, one of my favorites. Green beans might not be a vegetable that you would think about roasting, but they really are a good choice. They get soft but stay tender-crisp and the sprinkle of orange zest really wakes everything up. Our Roasted Granulated Garlic is grown in California and adds a deep roasted, garlicky flavor. 1/2 teaspoon of Roasted Granulated Garlic is equal to 4 cloves of garlic, so feel free to adjust to your taste. This dish is a perfect side for a weeknight supper or a holiday dinner - Mom will be proud.
- 8 oz small portobello or white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced.
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed and ends trimmed.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Roasted Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dried Mediterranean Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Sweet Basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange zest
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Put beans and mushrooms in a glass bowl with room to move them around.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Garlic, Mediterranean Oregano and Basil.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the mushrooms and beans and toss slightly to coat the vegetables.
- On a baking sheet, arrange the vegetables in a single layer.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes and check for doneness after about 20 minutes.
- Beans are done when they are tender-crisp and all of the liquid has cooked out of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and while vegetables are hot, sprinkle with salt, pepper, parmesan cheese.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving plate and top with fresh orange zest - serve.
Serves: 4 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat 4.4 g
Saturated Fat 1.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 2.0 mg
Sodium 135.10 mg
Potassium 181.70 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Sugars 4.0 g
Protein 4.3 g