Sweet Potato and Black Bean Nachos
Let's face it nachos are good. They are communal. People come together over a big plate of nachos reaching in, scooping up and enjoying. Chips, meat, beans, cheese, guac, sour cream, salsa ...load 'em up - melty, cheesy deliciousness.
However, if you aren't careful that delicious, messy dish could cost you more than 1500 calories and 75 grams of fat per serving! So before you head for that morning-after guilt trip, consider this alternative for your favorite nachos.
Instead of fried chips and piles of beef, how about sweet potatoes and black beans? This dish is perfect to share with friends, will fill you up and prevent the morning after feeling.
Our Taco Seasoning is salt free and hand blended with chili powder, domestic paprika, onion, garlic, cumin, brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne and Mexican oregano.
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1 14 oz or 2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar and pepper jack mix shredded cheese
- 1 small can black olives - about 1 cup
- 2 cups bell peppers (any color or a mix), chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 fresh lime
- 2 Tablespoons fresh guacamole
- 2 Tablespoons light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet, spread the sweet potato wedges in a layer and drizzle with the vegetable broth.
- Add Taco Seasoning and toss to coat potatoes with the seasoning.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip potatoes with a spatula and return to oven to bake another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Potatoes should be tender and slightly crisp.
- Top the potatoes with black beans and cheese.
- Return pan to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and add bell peppers, onions and black olives.
- Top with guacamole and sour cream.
- Serve hot.
Serves: 4 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat 16.3 g
Saturated Fat 6.4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.1 g
Cholesterol 27.5 mg
Sodium 415.5 mg
Potassium 767.3 mg
Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
Sugars 2.2 g
Protein 18.0 g