Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Having roots in Texas, we love Mexican inspired dishes. While not made with authentic Mexican ingredients, this Tex-Mex casserole is sure to hit the spot. Chicken enchiladas are wonderful, if you have the time, but this one pot dish has all of the elements of cheesy enchiladas without all the work.
One pot meals are one of our favorite things during these dreary winter months. They're warm, full of flavor and work well as leftovers for lunch the next day (if you have any left)!
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Chipotle 'Morita' Chile Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 1 4oz can green chiles, chopped
- 1 4oz can black olives, chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup colby-jack cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until melted.
- Stir in flour, cook for 1 minute and slowly whisk in chicken broth. Continue stirring until smooth and thickened - about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir chipotle chile powder, salt, oregano, green chiles and black olives into the sauce and place chicken breasts into pan.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from pan, leaving the heat on low, and cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Stir sour cream into the sauce and return chicken to the pan along with the tortillas.
- Stir until combined and top with grated cheese
- Cover pan and cook for 5-8 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted.
Serves: 6 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat 23.3 g
Saturated Fat 12.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.6 g
Monounsaturated Fat 5.7 g
Cholesterol 90.9 mg
Sodium 549.70 mg
Potassium 159.80 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 25.2 g