Spicy Thai Coconut Soup
This delicious and hearty soup was inspired by the authentic Tom Kha Gai Soup or chicken coconut soup that is a staple in Thai cuisine. Tom Kha Gai Soup delivers a complexity of flavors that are salty, sour and spicy all at once with a silky rich coconut milk broth along with cooked chicken and mushrooms.
All of this spicy, salty, creamy deliciousness can make this soup high in fat and sodium. We made some minor adjustments to the original recipe and used a combination of low fat coconut milk and low fat/salt chicken stock for the broth and eliminated the fish sauce to reduce the sodium in this dish. This resulted in a delicious Spicy Thai Coconut Soup with an incredible flavor and much less sodium and fat.
We added flavor and heat with our Spicy Thai Seasoning is hand blended from garlic, onion, paprika, lemon, coriander, hot cayenne, white pepper, basil, lemongrass and cilantro. The Crushed Red Pepper Flakes add even more heat, but are optional depending on the heat level you are looking for.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Spicy Thai Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 8 oz cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup or 1/2 can light coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 3 scallions, cut diagonally
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- In a dutch oven or soup pot, bring olive oil to medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and red bell pepper, saute until vegetables begin to soften and cook - about 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes.
- Add Spicy Thai Seasoning and stir to combine.
- Add chicken stock and coconut milk, reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and heat through.
- Ladle into 4 bowls and garnish with onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Serves: 4 servings
Nutritional Information :
Protein 18.5 g
Carbs 12.1 g
Fat 10.7 g
Sat Fat 5.5 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Fiber 2.0 g
Sodium 242 mg
Sugars 7.0 g