Black Beans and Rice Bowl
Sometimes recipes can be complicated, requiring many steps, exotic ingredients or hours of preparation. This is NOT one of those recipes.
Ditch the drive through and stay home with this hearty and healthy black bean rice bowl. We typically keep fresh cooked black beans on hand, but we are not opposed to opening a can when the situation warrants. This is a recipe that can be open to many interpretations - try using kidney beans, white beans or garbanzo beans or add corn for a different twist. Of course the seasoning possibilities are endless as well.
We liked this dish served warm, but it was also delicious cold.
For even less sodium in this recipe you can use homemade black beans. Although they are not bad to use occasionally, canned black beans are high in sodium and may also have other preservatives added.
For this south of the border variation we used our Salt Free Adobo Seasoning, hand blended from cumin, paprika, coriander, fennel, yellow mustard, garlic, onion, ancho, pasilla and Mexican oregano.
Quick, easy, healthy and full of flavor - this one is a winner in our book.
2 cups cooked rice, we used a brown basmati rice
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 lime, juiced & divided
1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 small fresh jalapeno, seeds and stem removed and diced
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon Salt Free Adobo Seasoning
2 cups or 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup reduced fat cheddar/jack cheese, shredded
1 avocado, sliced
2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- Prepare the rice to package directions.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1/2 of the lime juice to the rice and stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, jalapeno, remaining lime juice, cilantro and salt. Stir to combine.
- Heat a medium skilled to medium high heat and add 2 teaspoons olive oil and bell peppers. Saute until peppers start to soften then add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add red wine vinegar and Adobo Seasoning and cook another minute or two
- Add beans and cook until heated through
- Add bean mixture to the rice and toss to combine.
- Divide equally amongst 4 bowls for serving.
- Serve with 1/4 each of the cheese, avocado and lettuce per serving
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Protein 19.3 g
Carbs 56.4 g
Fat 14.1 g
Sat Fat 4.4 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Fiber 11.0 g
Sodium 378.6 mg
Sugars 4.3 g