Cinnamon and Ancho Chile Chocolate Bark
We love testing recipes that have that 'sweet heat' - they start out sweet then finish with an unexpected, subtle warm heat. Sweet chocolate, warm cinnamon and smokey Ancho hit the perfect
combination. Add tart cranberries, cashews and pistachios and this treat
will be the hit of the party! This is a recipe that also makes a great holiday gift!!
Ancho chiles are fruity, sweet, slightly smokey flavor with undertones of plum, raisin, tobacco and a slightly earthy bitterness. We used a good amount, 1 Tablespoon, but you can start with less and add more to your desired level of flavor.
Use high quality chocolate, it really does make a difference. Try to find nuts that are roasted, but not salted. Shelled pistachios will save time as well. There are several ways to melt chocolate, we used a double boiler. Click here for help and tips for melting chocolate.
1 Tablespoon Ancho Chile Powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground Star Anise
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 teaspoon Ceylon Cinnamon Powder
2/3 cup pistachios, shelled and chopped
2/3 cup cashews, chopped
12 ounces dark, bittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt (omit if the nuts are salted)
- In a small bowl, add Ancho Chile Powder, Ground Star Anise, Ground Cloves and Ceylon Cinnamon Powder, mix to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the nuts, cranberries and salt on the baking sheet.
- Slowly melt 3/4 of the chocolate, remove from heat.
- Add the remaining chocolate and coconut oil to the warm, melted chocolate.
- Stir until chocolate and coconut oil are melted and combined
- Add the ground spices and stir to combine.
- Pour the chocolate onto the pan over the nuts and cranberries in an even layer. Use a spatula to spread the cocolate if needed.
- Let cool to room temperature and move the baking pan to the refrigerator for 45 minutes until chocolate is set.
- Break into large pieces and serve.
- Remaining bark can be stored in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Protein 6.6 g
Carbs 32.9 g
Fat 31.2 g
Sat Fat 15.5 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Fiber 5.9 g
Sodium 140.8 mg
Sugars 18.7 g