Inspired by the fusion food combination of traditional lasagna, my favorite enchiladas and yummy tacos - this beefy, cheesy casserole is easy to make and has the perfect back home Texas 'twang'! So put on your boots, kick back with a big giant glass sweet iced tea and enjoy - "ya'll".
Now this isn't really a lasagna at all as I used corn tortillas in place of wide noodles and you can even call it an enchilada casserole if you wish. This was even better the next day as lunch left overs!
This recipe is a good source of protein, Vitamin C and Vitamin B12. The bad? It is a bit higher than I'd like in Trans Fat (but i do love all that cheese!).
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground meat (I use 90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Sweet Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder Mild
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, minced
- 1 can low salt diced tomatoes
- 1 cup green and/or red bell peppers, diced
- 10 yellow corn tortillas
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese - drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded green leaf or romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced pimentos
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a skillet, add canola oil and ground meat. Cook on medium high until ground meat is cooked through.
- Drain off any excess fat. If you use 90% meat - you shouldn't have much to drain off, in any.
- In a large bowl, combine spices, cooked beef, jalapeno and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Spray a large casserole dish with pan spray and line bottom with 5 of the 10 corn tortillas.
- Spread the all of the beef mixture over the tortillas.
- Add the remaining tortillas to create the next layer.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, Monterrey Jack cheese and the egg.
- Spoon the cheese mixture over the tortillas.
- Cover the casserole with foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, lettuce and pimentos and serve.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Sat Fat 7g
Trans Fat .5g
E-mail this product to a friend