Goulash is a traditional soup or stew that comes from Hungarian cuisine which consists of a combination of meat and vegetables simmered with Paprika and then thickened with flour before serving. Paprika is a flavorful spice that comes from grinding bell peppers. The profile of the Paprika is determined by the type of pepper that is used. Hungarian Paprika is considered a 'hot' paprika. The spiciness of the paprika is further enhanced during the saute step because heating the paprika in oil releases it's flavor and heat. While there is is a tiny bit heat in the Hungarian Paprika, it is not super hot, but you could substitute a Sweet Paprika if you prefer.
Traditionally, potatoes are a staple ingredient in goulash, but in this variation of the recipe, we eliminate the potatoes and serve the goulash on a bed of cooked egg noodles. I also prefer to use a sirloin or flatiron cut of beef instead of stew meat to eliminate some of the fat in the dish.
We prepared this meal in the slow cooker, but it could certainly be prepared in a dutch oven on the stovetop as well.
- 5 slices of turkey bacon
- 2 lb stew meat, sirloin, or flatiron steak - cubed (I used flatiron)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms, your choice of mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons Hungarian Paprika
- 1 can beef broth, low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon Caraway Seed
- 4 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 12 oz of cooked egg noodles
- In a Dutch oven, sauté bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan to a bowl.
- Brown beef in bacon drippings Remove beef from pan to a bowl.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms until tender. Add garlic and paprika and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from pan.
- Add beef, onions, mushrooms and bacon to slow cooker and add broth, salt and caraway seeds.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to high.
- Mix flour and water and add to meat mixture stir well and cook until broth thickens about 30 additional minutes.
- Five minutes before serving, stir in sour cream. Keep warm but do not boil.
- Serve over a bed of egg noodles.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Sat Fat 7g
Trans Fat 1g
E-mail this product to a friend