Mole (Mo-lay) is a sauce made primarily of chiles that is used is some Mexican cooking. There are many variations of Mole and different ways to prepare and use this sauce. There is also a question of whether chocolate is an original ingredient or if it was incorporated as the use of this sauce became more widespread.
The mole in this chili is a very easy recipe that combines Ceylon or "true cinnamon" and chocolate with a combination of spices and dried Pasilla chiles. The result is a dark, complex sauce that is added to the chili during cooking and provides a rich, savory component to this hearty meal. Click here for an easy Mole Sauce recipe.
- 1 Lb lean ground turkey breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, diced - 1 can if using canned tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans - 1 can if using canned beans
- 1 cup Mole Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Brown turkey in a skillet over medium high heat until cooked through.
- Transfer turkey to a slow cooker and add remaining ingredients - except sour cream and cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours
- Garnish with cheese before serving
Serves: 5 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Sat Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
E-mail this product to a friend