Jamaican Red Bean Soup
2/24/2012 - Updated: Wow! The first time we made this recipe the calorie count on this meal was way over the top at over 911 calories and 37 grams of fat per serving!. After looking at the original ingredients, we knew that by making a few modifications we could prepare this dish and cut back on those ingredients that add fat and calories to an otherwise delicious meal. The original version had 1/2 cup of butter and 1 cup heavy whipping cream which added creaminess - but a ton of fat and calories! We recreated some of the creaminess by removing about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of some of the potatoes & beans at the end of cooking and mashing them, then adding them back to the soup pot.
We decided that this modified version of Jamaican Red Bean Soup, which is down to a respectable 543 calories is a great alternative to it's high fat and calorie original version.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 6 small red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 14oz can dice tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon Jamaican Jerk Seasoning - add more if you are feeling extra 'spicy'!
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper Coarse Grind
- 1/8 teaspoon Habanero Flakes - add more if you want more heat.
- 1/8 teaspoon Coriander Seed Powder
- 1 cup lean turkey ham, cubed
- 1/4 cup fat free half and half
- 1/4 cup coconut milk - see recipe below for how to make your own coconut milk.
Coconut Milk is not the liquid found in the center of the coconut, nor is it the sweetened cream of coconut used for making desserts and some drinks. Coconut milk is actually the liquid that comes from steeping shredded coconut in hot water and squeezing out the liquid. If you cannot find coconut milk in your local grocery, you can use this simple recipe to make your own.
- Use equal parts of unsweetened, Shredded Coconut Flakes and water. I used about 1/4 cup each to get the 1/4 cup needed for this recipe.
- Simmer on stove until foamy (about 5-8 minutes on med high)
- Strain liquid (save the liquid!) through a cheesecloth or put the mixture in a mesh strainer and use the back of a spoon to press the liquid out of the coconut flakes.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add celery thru garlic and sauté about 5 minutes until vegetables start to get tender.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and 1 cup of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining stock, and next 5 ingredients, Jerk Seasoning thru coriander. Bring to a simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For added creaminess, take 1/2 to 3/4 cup of beans & potatoes out of the pot, mash them and stir them back into the soup before continuing to the next step.
- Add turkey ham and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in half and half and coconut milk and heat through.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Sat Fat 15g
Trans Fat 0g
E-mail this product to a friend