Pronounced "Waa-HAAK-Kahn Lie-Yoo-Das" this is considered a classic street food in the Oaxaca City, Mexico region. A Tlayuda, sometimes misspelled as Clayuda, is a type of Mexican pizza that is made with a baked flour tortilla and a spicy black bean puree. This Meats such as chicken or chorizo can be added as well as tomatoes, lettuce, slaw and avocados. The Tlayuda can be served open face, like a pizza or folded in half. The Pasilla de Oaxaca chile is added to the black bean puree and gives this dish it's heat as well as a smoky flavor that really enhances the other flavors. You can prepare this dish in the oven, but also on the grill. The traditional preparation is in a clay skillet directly over hot coals.
This Oaxaca Tlayuda recipe is a good source of folate and is low in Cholesterol.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic flakes or 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed. If you prepare your beans from scratch - about 2 cups are needed.
- 2 Pasilla de Oaxaca chiles, reconstituted in hot water for 5-8 minutes, remove seeds if you prefer less heat, rough chop chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 8 inch whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese - divided
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or lettuce - divided
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup diced tomatoes - divided
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees or grill to med high heat
- In a small skillet, heat oil to med high heat and add onions, cook for about 5 mins until translucent. Add garlic and cumin, cook for 1 more minute to combine flavors.
- In a food processor, add beans, onion mixture, Oaxaca chile, brown sugar and about 3 tablespoons water. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste - I did not add salt - but I did season with cracked pepper.
- Lay tortillas on a baking sheet or on aluminum foil for the grill - do not overlap tortillas - use 2 baking sheets
- Spread bean mixture and cheese on tortillas and bake 5-7 minutes in the oven or on the grill until edges of tortillas become crisp and brown.
- Combine cabbage, lime juice and cilantro for slaw topping
- Cut into triangles and serve with slaw, and tomatoes
Sat Fat 3.0g
Trans Fat 0g
E-mail this product to a friend