Black Bean Burgers
This black bean burger is no slouch when compared to it's ground meat counterpart. This vegetarian burger recipe is filling and nutritious and beats the small veggie patties hands down! This is a great go-to meal and is super easy to make. Usually most black bean burgers fall apart on the grill but these worked out fine (but you do need to handle with some care).
We paired ours with a Spicy Chipotle Slaw (see the recipe below) and fresh fruit - a perfect outdoor Summer treat!
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Lettuce, tomato, onion
- Mustard or light mayo (optional)
Spicy Chipotle Slaw:
- Heat a grill between low to medium-low heat.
- In a food processor, add 1 can of drained black beans, onion, garlic flakes, cilantro, parsley, cumin, egg, and red pepper flakes and pulse to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl, add the remaining can of drained black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix until well combined.
- Divide mixture into 4 portions and form into patties. Place on hot oiled grill over low to medium-low heat and cook about 6 minutes on each side or until heated through.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with hamburger condiments.
2 cups sliced cabbage or slaw mix.
1/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt (we used sour cream)
2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly - chill and serve.
Nutritional Information (per serving and this includes the spicy slaw):
Sat Fat 2g
Trans Fat 0g
E-mail this product to a friend