Black Bean Soup with Jalapeno Nachos
Black beans have a long history in Latino soups, stews and chilis and we love the flavor and texture of black beans. While we typically prefer to cook our black beans from scratch keeping a can in the pantry can be perfect when you need to whip up a quick and easy dinner.
This south-of-the-border style black bean soup gets its spicy kick from our homemade Salsa Verde. Our Christmas gift to each this year was a stainless steel food processor and we put it to good use in preparing this meal.
The black beans, carrots and onions give this soup a thick, creamy texture when blended. Pair with a side of Jalapeno nachos for a complete meal that is healthy, tasty a bit zest and super quick and easy to make. See a perfect meal!
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz can vegetable or chicken broth - if sodium is an issue for you - try making your own broth.
- 1 16 oz can low sodium black beans, undrained
- 1/3 cup Salsa Verde - prepared or make your own
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 ounces of yellow, white or blue corn chips - we prefer blue
- 1/2 cup shredded low fat Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 sliced jalapeno - use 2 if you like it hot!
- Low or no fat sour cream for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook onion, carrots and garlic in oil for 2 minutes
- Add broth, beans, salsa verde, and cumin
- Cover and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes
- Spread chips on a baking sheet
- Sprinkle cheese and jalapeno peppers evenly over chips
- Bake for 6-8 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly
- Add soup to a blender, in batches and process until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender for this step and blend in the saucepan
- Serve with sour cream, cilantro and the Salsa Verde
* To prevent the possibility of being burned by hot soup, add soup in batches and only fill the blender 1/2 to 3/4 full. Make sure the lid fits tight and place a dish towel over the top of the blender and hold the lid in place when blending to prevent the lid from coming off.
Nutritional Information: (per serving)
Sat Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
E-mail this product to a friend